Sunday, May 8, 2011

O' Dad

Dear sweetheart its 1/4 to 12 in the night.
I had to come into your room and watch you sleep just one more time.
Tomorrow you will be a teenager for the first time.
You will no longer think of me as your daddy.

Tomorrow I will be just o'dad.
You will no longer sit in o'dad's chair with o'dad and
Watch reruns of I Love Lucy.
No longer a good night kiss and a hug for your old dad.
For you will say o'dad that 's not lady like.
Today I am a lady.

In the years to come,
Your old dad will be there to worry about your first date
And everything you try to do.
You will come to me to barrow the keys to the car.
You will ask me for a few dollars to go down town.
You will say O please o'dad!
Your old dad's heart will melt to the floor.

But right now as you sleep
Not only is my heart melting,
My eyes have tears in them
And as I stand over you, my knees are shaking
And my hands are sweaty.

Tomorrow I will talk to you like a lady.
I will no longer cry with you
I will have to show you strength.
I will have to be strong in the years to come, if not for me
But for you.
So have a happy tomorrow, but please remember no matter how old
You become you will always be your old dad's little girl,
So pleasant dreams young lady and may your dreams come true.



By Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment